If you get into a car accident in Pennsylvania, it’s important to understand the state’s insurance rules so you know how and where to file your claim and the maximum insurance payout. As a licensed driver, you probably already know that you must have vehicle insurance. But if you didn’t cause the wreck, how do you get the money you need to pay for medical care for your accident injuries and repair or replace your car?

Pennsylvania is a Choice No-Fault State For Car Accidents

Different states have different laws regarding car insurance. Pennsylvania’s is especially complicated, as it is a  “choice, no-fault” state. This means drivers must choose either “limited tort” or “full tort” coverage when purchasing auto insurance. 

Limited Tort Coverage in Pennsylvania 

Limited tort coverage limits a policyholder’s right to seek compensation for injuries and other losses from a car accident, even if the other driver is at fault. While a person with limited tort coverage can file a claim for medical bills and lost income from a car accident, they typically cannot recover compensation for non-monetary losses such as pain and suffering, unless they suffer severe, qualifying injuries. Limited tort coverage typically costs less than full tort coverage, but it’s important to remember that it limits a policyholder’s right to sue.

Full Tort Coverage in Pennsylvania 

Full tort coverage gives policyholders more options for recovering compensation for car accident losses. With full tort coverage, a policyholder may seek compensation from an at-fault driver for medical expenses, lost wages, and non-monetary losses such as pain and suffering. A policyholder with full tort coverage is not prevented from suing to pursue compensation. Full tort coverage typically costs more than limited tort coverage, but policyholders have more legal options.

How Do I Get Compensation After a Pennsylvania Car Accident?

Your options for recovering compensation after a Pennsylvania car accident will depend on what type of auto insurance coverage you purchased. If you have limited tort coverage, you will be limited to compensation for medical bills and lost income due to your car accident injuries. On the other hand, if you have full tort coverage, you will be to seek compensation for non-monetary losses, such as pain and suffering and emotional distress. 

If you have questions about how to get financial relief after a car accident in Pennsylvania, call McCormick & Vilushis LLC for a free consultation about your claim.