I-79 And I-90 Can Play Host To Devastating Trucking Accidents
Pennsylvania roadways such as I-79 and I-90 are busy and congested at all times of the year. When distracted, fatigued and otherwise negligent truck drivers enter the scene, a highway drive can turn tragic in an instant.
Large trucks and commercial vehicles pose a unique threat when involved in an accident. At McCormick & Vilushis LLC, our attorneys understand the catastrophic consequences that can unfold when a collision with a large vehicle occurs. Aside from the considerable damage and injury that can result, liability can also be complex, and we take pride in helping Erie residents as they navigate the aftermath of these serious accidents.
The Dangers Of Commercial Truck Traffic
Some of the many hazards 18-wheelers (semitrucks) introduce to Pennsylvania roads include accidents caused by:
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Driver fatigue
- Overloaded trucks or unbalanced loads
- Steering or brake system failures
- Inadequate reflectors and lighting
Depending upon the time of year, drivers must exercise additional caution to avoid accidents caused by snow, ice and other dangerous conditions. When they fail to do so, innocent drivers and passengers may suffer life-altering and even fatal injuries.
When Accidents Happen On I-79 And I-90
Even if a driver exercises perfect judgment on the road, an accident can still happen at the fault of the other driver. When the other motorist is operating a truck or commercial vehicle, the actions that should follow after an accident are important:
- Seek medical attention immediately: For an individual’s own health, immediate medical care is critical. This will also begin the documentation process of the accident.
- Document as much of the scene as possible: Taking pictures of the scene and getting the contact information of any witnesses are wise measures to take after an accident.
- Consult with an attorney: After a trucking accident, there may be multiple liable parties, including the driver, the trucking company or the hiring agency. Because any ensuing personal injury claims can quickly become layered and complex, seeking out the assistance of an experienced attorney is beneficial.
Call Us Today
For a free initial consultation, contact our firm today. We can be reached by phone at 814-455-5362, as well as via email by visiting our Contact page.